The term "Misfit Menagerie" is often used to describe the loose faction of dragons residing near the Cairnstone Rest of Dragonhome.It is led by the headstrong Mirror, Izilth, and her kindhearted mate, Athyg.
The Menagerie is located in a vast cave system near the Cairnstone Rest. A few dedicated diggers have excavated additional tunnels to fit the clan's purposes. One tunnel near the surface has a sunroof carved into the ceiling to allow for a garden beneath the ground. The deepest tunnels house the clan's extensive archives, which hold the clan's history and census results as well as copies of the entire history of dragonkind. One of the few indicators of the lair's existence is an alcove carved out of a massive boulder, which acts as the alchemist Kyser's workshop.
In addition to the lair itself, the Menagerie owns and operates The Traveler's Oasis, a small hotel for adventuring dragons who stumble upon the clan's territory. The hotel is located in a stone building apart from the main lair and contains two spacious rooms and an indoor pool.
Originally born in the Wind Flight, Izilth left her pack in youthful rebellion against tradition. She returned to her birth Flight, only to find a Guardian named Athyg waiting for her there. He claimed she was the Charge he had been searching for and insisted on staying with her. Izilth reluctantly relented and they started a small clan together, known at first as Breezeborn.
Breezeborn began taking in dragons from across Sorneith who were seeking refuge. Not long after the clan's conception, Athyg confessed his love to Izilth and the two became mates. Their first nest together bore three potential heirs, though only one son, Xivos, stayed with the clan.
As Breezeborn grew, so too did its influence. Eventually, Izilth's original pack took notice. They met with her privately and threatened war if she didn't leave their territory. She was prepared to fight for her home, but Athyg convinced her to protect the clan by giving in to their demands. The clan wandered for some time before coming across a collapsed cave system in Dragonhome. Now far enough away from the pack's territory, Izilth finally allowed the clan to set up a new home.
In its new home, Breezeborn saw a sudden influx of exiles from other Flights. Noticing this, the locals began to refer to the strange clan as the 'Misfit Menagerie', citing its seemingly nonsensical composition and unusual members. Izilth took the name on in stride and even began referring to her clan as 'the Menagerie' herself.
Ever since the move, the Menagerie has thrived and plans to continue its growth. Izilth seeks to lead and protect her clan until a ripe old age, upon which she will retire alongside her beloved mate.
Notable Members Edit
- Izilth - The clan's leader and matriarch. She is known to have a stubborn streak and tough exterior, but also has a soft spot for abandoned hatchlings.
- Athyg - The clan's second-in-command and patriarch. He is known to be a big pushover who cannot help but to reach out to those in need.
- Kadyn - The clan's advisor. His level-headed, calm nature is considered strange among his fellow Spirals, but he has proven himself trustworthy to the clan. Although he is not the clan's oldest member, he has been with it the longest.
- Meilichios - The clan's head guard. He takes his duties seriously and regards all newcomers with suspicion. Usually found stationed at the lair's entrance, it is rumored that he never sleeps.
- Kyser - The clan's alchemist. Known to be haughty and condescending, he lives apart from most of the clan. He is also a notorious insomniac and works well into the night. Rumors state that his smokey wings and fins were caused by dabbling in fire magic.
- Cyrenth - One of the clan's Coliseum fighters. Crippled and half-blinded by a strange and powerful disease, he has beaten the odds more than once. He now uses the Coliseum as a way to rehabilitate himself.
- Fruren - One of the clan's Coliseum fighters. Once a personal guard of a distant land's queen, he fled with her to Sorneith after her exile. Although he has become a guard for the entire clan, he is also an active member of a Coliseum team.
- Extremis - One of the clan's Coliseum fighters. He was forced to join a Coliseum team as an attempt to reduce his frequent dangerous outings. While he enjoys fighting, he still wishes there was more excitement in Dragonhome.
Current Ambassadors Edit
- Shimo - The clan's Ice ambassador. With wings made of ice, it is a miracle she is able to survive in Dragonhome's arid climate. However, she manages it with sheer willpower and a mastery of ice magic.
- Stormweaver - The clan's Lightning ambassador. He is the last of the stormweavers, a powerful union of lightning, water, and wind magic. He remembers very little of his past and has taken his old title as his name.
- Limper - The clan's Shadow ambassador. Created by the Shadowbinder herself to aid a struggling Shadow clan, he was rejected and chased off by its paranoid members. He found himself at the Menagerie's doorstep and repurposed himself as its ambassador. Contrary to his name, he does not have a limp.
- Nuza - The clan's Plague ambassador. After escaping from traditional pack life, she sought refuge among the Menagerie's ranks. She aids the clan with hunting in addition to her ambassador duties.